Mathematics, not my cup of tea.

After watching last night's 60 minutes episode, I thought I'd brush up on some collegiate mathematics.
I wiki-ed Pi and along came all these other formulas.
Just going through them one by one, is giving me a massive headache and I'm about to give up.
Nothing makes sense and I'm starting to feel anger set in.

2\int_{-1}^1 \sqrt{1-x^2}\,dx = \pi
\int_{-1}^1\frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} = \pi
\frac{\sqrt2}2 \cdot \frac{\sqrt{2+\sqrt2}}2 \cdot \frac{\sqrt{2+\sqrt{2+\sqrt2}}}2 \cdot \cdots = \frac2\pi
\prod_{n=1}^{\infty} \left ( \frac{n+1}{n} \right )^{(-1)^{n-1}} = \frac{2}{1} \cdot \frac{2}{3} \cdot \frac{4}{3} \cdot \frac{4}{5} \cdot \frac{6}{5} \cdot \frac{6}{7} \cdot \frac{8}{7} \cdot \frac{8}{9} \cdots = \frac{\pi}{2}
\sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{1}{16^k}\left(\frac {4}{8k+1} - \frac {2}{8k+4} - \frac {1}{8k+5} - \frac {1}{8k+6}\right) = \pi
\sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^k(\sqrt{2}-1)^{2k+1}}{2k+1} = \frac{\pi}{8}.
\sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^k(2-\sqrt{3})^{2k+1}}{2k+1}=\frac{\pi}{12}.
\Gamma\left({1 \over 2}\right)=\sqrt{\pi}
n! \sim \sqrt{2 \pi n} \left(\frac{n}{e}\right)^n
\sum_{k=1}^{n} \phi (k) \sim \frac{3n^2}{\pi^2}
\oint\frac{dz}{z}=2\pi i ,
where the path of integration is a closed curve around the origin, traversed in the standard anticlockwise direction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't they look alike?

taipei 101

Steaks !!! Yeahhhhh !!!