Umami di Italiano
I don't think I'm cracking any code here... but it seems to me, dynamic Italian food is heavily reliant on the 6th taste sense called Umami.
"Umami" was isolated and scientifically discovered around a hundred years ago by a Japanese Scientist, but has been a huge element in Japanese cooking for centuries.
I recently stumbled upon these culinary similarities when playing around with Parmesan Reggiano, and Prosciutto di Parma. These two Italian ingredients impart strong Umami into dishes they compliment.
Used primarily as an agent of salt, there was something more to the obvious.
Parmesan Reggiano and Prosciutto di Parma not only lent seasoning but also a resonating flavor-component echoing on the roof of my mouth. A full flavored effect that magnifies excitement to the palate.
This, no doubt was Umami.
I am going to Italy this Friday for the first time, and will report accordingly on my hypothesis.
"Umami" was isolated and scientifically discovered around a hundred years ago by a Japanese Scientist, but has been a huge element in Japanese cooking for centuries.
I recently stumbled upon these culinary similarities when playing around with Parmesan Reggiano, and Prosciutto di Parma. These two Italian ingredients impart strong Umami into dishes they compliment.
Used primarily as an agent of salt, there was something more to the obvious.
Parmesan Reggiano and Prosciutto di Parma not only lent seasoning but also a resonating flavor-component echoing on the roof of my mouth. A full flavored effect that magnifies excitement to the palate.
This, no doubt was Umami.
I am going to Italy this Friday for the first time, and will report accordingly on my hypothesis.
Comments